8.29.2010

What Would You Do If You Knew You Could Not Fail?

I must have been pretty ambitious when I promised a bi-monthly update; perhaps a quarterly goal is more realistic.

There has been no biological family drama to be updated on, thank goodness! It's easier to be separated from the chaos when everyone is in their own state, and those who are in my state are pretty quiet. This just means that I need to prepare for whatever is coming next... Hopefully everything stays calm until at least after the holidays. I don't think I've had a drama-free Christmas since I was 18!

As of OFYC, well, it's kind of tense right now. I know that not running for a leadership position last March was the better decision because I have started my own projects and I am keeping myself busy in Eugene, but I still wonder whether it would have been much different if I kept my previous position. Most of our supporters still come to me as the group's leader, and I think that makes others uncomfortable (hence the tension). I still travel just as much and participate in the same way as I did before, and everything was fine until I left Children First last June. I don't know if I just didn't prepare myself for the loss of the control or if it is just a strange transition for everyone since leadership elections are such a new development for the project. Either way, I have decided not to enable anything and let the places fall where they may. And I've decided that I will talk to my mentor on Tuesday about the approach I should take.

Although any tension with OFYC should be settled right away, I can easily go in my own direction and let it resolve itself. I started an OFYC chapter in Eugene so we can get local youth motivated and involved right here in my own back yard. I met a great girl at the University who I think is going to be the key in organizing this chapter and moving forward. I don't think I would have been able to get this all going without her.

I also have my mentor project moving forward. It stalled over the summer while most of my supporters were on summer vacations, and since I was sick of waiting for help that I wasn't sure I would even get, I decided to just move forward and see what happens. I made fliers and an application, and I have a meeting with the dean of the students tomorrow to see what kind of support the University can provide. I would settle for a website and some lanyards... but anything else would obviously be greatly welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment